S2 #15. REALLY appreciate you sharing the show with those who may find value, so please continue to spread the news of The "I" in Win podcast, which is the show that focuses on people rather than outcomes. Season 2, Episode 15 showcases Ryan Kirkorsky, who is the head girls basketball coach and an English teacher at Rolling Meadows High School in Illinois. Coach Kirkosky is in his 27th year as a teacher/coach and has coached every level of high school basketball.
In this episode, we cover:
- Commitment statements
- Public commitment statements of, not where the player is, but where they are committed to striving towards during the season and the off-season.
- Creating energy at practice
- Coaches have to intentionally teach what energy looks like at practice. Literally, demonstrate the expectation and hold them to the standard.
- Improving communication w/players
- Communication is optimized when coaches establish relationships with players first. When this happens, player will be more likely to listen when the coach speaks.
- Why 'joy' is a program standard
- If you're not having fun, then what is the point? Additionally, joy increases the likelihood of goal attainment